Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Whats all the BUZZ about spring?

Hey Guys,

Its time for my first project post.  Today we are focusing on springtime and read the book Maisy's ABC's by Lucy Cousins.
My class absolutly loves her books as they have very bright and vivid pictures and often have flaps or something animated about each page.  I love them becasue I swear there is nothing that you cannot find in those books, especially when you are trying to tie the book at circle time in with the project everyday.  On the insect page there is a bee and with the pull tab the bee flies.  This blew their little minds.

We made bees our of paper cups.  I love making 3D art projects with them becasue I feel like they keep their attention just a little more and they seem to enjoy learing how to get the medium on the surface and getting it to stick.

For this project you'll need :
1 paper cup - white on the outside
Sharpie- for drawing the bee lines
Yellow Paint
Paper to cut out the wings

Extras for a little pizzaz :
1 pipe cleaner for the antenna
2 googy eyes- I mean come on, they make every toddler project amazing!

I started by drawing the lines of the bees around the cups. 
(Sorry about the naptime photo)

I made three but you can do whatever you please.  Then I had the kids paint them yellow.  I like the Colorations Super Shiney Yellow Paint.


Then I cut wings out of grey construction paper, however I think wings out of wax paper look awesome too.  Added some googly eyes and drew a smile. I taped some black pipe cleaners to the top for antenna and they stay pretty well with xcotch tape. They love them and smile every time they see them :) Here is the finished product.

I hope you enjoy the project!





1 comment:

  1. I just subscribed to your blog. I'm excited! I always need ideas to keep Ari entertained!

    ReplyDelete