Friday, April 15, 2011

Just as I promised! Butterfly Friday.


I know there is about 1000 ways to make a butterfly but this idea came to me the other week and I tried it in the classroom as a two day project.  Every day at circle time we do some yoga to try and bring the energy down from playing outside.  We do the butterfly yoga pose which looks like this, however with the hands on their shoulders to flap their wings



We talked a lot about their bodies and then talked about butterfly bodies and how they were different. We read "The Very hungry Caterpillar" and then saw how the caterpillar transformed.  The first day all we needed for the project was the paint and the toilet paper roll.  We painted them and talked about the bodies and how we were giving the butterfly bodies some gentle touches with our brushes to maintain the clam.  A few kids mentioned that they were caterpillars and were going to be butterflies soon. That was adorable.

On the second day I prepped in the morning.  I folded the contact paper in half and cut out B shapes for the wings.  I taped the contact paper sticky side up on the table so they could add all of their little pieces.  We used crinkle paper and tissue paper squares.  No one was really interested in the buttons on that particular day. They picked their items and collaged for a good 20 minutes sticking and re-sticking their items in just the right place.  After they were through we backed them with construction paper in various colors.  It would have been equally awesome to back it with another piece of contact paper, however for all of my kiddos it would have taken me an eternity :). Here is how they turned out.

I'm sure you've already guessed that I am a google eye fan, however these are cute as well.  They are eye stickers from Discount School Supply. I hole punched and added the pipe cleaner antenna and a little smile as well. We hung them from a clothesline in our classroom and the kids can not stop commenting on them.


Have a happy butterfly friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment